Textures from Nature in Textile Art. by Marian Jazmik
Harness the beauty of the natural world to create unique textile art pieces.
Learn how to create beautiful textile art inspired by details in nature in this practical and inspirational guide. Acclaimed textile artist Mariam Jazmik shows how to use unusual recycled and repurposed materials combined with traditional fabric and thread.
Marian reveals secrets of her lushly textured sculptural embroidered pieces, from initial photograph to finished object. Exploring nature as a constant source of inspiration, she shows how to turn a chance spotting of lichen on a tree trunk or a scattering of Autumn leaves into glorious textile or mixed media art. Marian goes on to explore the myriad of techniques she uses in her work.
- How to begin with photography, homing in on details in nature
- How to manipulate images to create microscopic and surprising detail
- How to translate images into 3D work, using an eclectic mix of natural and man made textiles, as well as unusual recycled materials otherwise destined for land fill.
- Hand and machine embroidery
- Dying, printing and painting
- Using a heat gun and soldering iron to create heavily textured surfaces